The past weeks has been a struggle. Struggle creatively, writing and practically designing. Today was really boring, I am just tired of everything I can’t even play with my kids (well I tried and we are okay). Then creativity strikes, I recalled this post regarding “stealing your way to original designs” (Go read it it’s a good read). It says there the first step is to “Imitate”.
It given me the boost that I need (just a little push) for today. Got into my laptop, and start searching for the font that would start it all.
I started with the font I have no motif in mind just the first font that would struck my attention. Then I found Candle Mustard. Still I am not thinking of any style or theme for the website, I went to instagram. There’s this account about web design that I followed for a few weeks already (since last week I am looking for inspiration). Seeing some design from DailyWebDesign got an idea to create something out of the font and the idea of imitation. Well I failed in imitating, since I have goal to start everything from scratch with just one font.
It’s like a EUREKA moment!
I did call it sagwan.ph (if there is a real website with that name it’s just a coincidence). But let’s call the design Moses since he is the only one I recalled in the bible that traveled a lot.
So I pretty much imitate most of the parts, except the original designer used sans-serif fonts, well I combined sans-serif for long texts and the featured font for the “titles”.
I failed imitating but it was effective. No thinking required, you will just follow as much detail as you can. Image courtesy of PicJumbo
After months of complete dormancy I was able to got out of my cave. So I started this Genesis thing last year and it was on and off development for me, but I was able to pull it off but with minimal design. Now I scrapped down the initial features of version 1 and tried to improved with version 2. Well you don’t develop softwares just degrade of course it has some enhancements.
The title of the post says it all, this is the start of version 2 of the Project Genesis. I just put up a simple logo just to initialize the development. Logos give you the feeling of what the project is about and should stand all through out the development.
I given it a simple design, with just shapes and chosen some few good fonts like Giraffey. The logo that I am aiming is to have a corporate feel to it, so I used shades of blue to it. I created a striking rounded rectangle with grey gradient to add up an accent to an “ascending” or laddered level just like in schools.
As I said on previous posts this is a comeback project and like from the beginning, it was Genesis.
I will be posting a lot of the development more often now again to document everything.
This will be the start of the version 2 and hoping for the next months I could pull off something large in terms of the development and also I will be using a more localized platform Dreamweaver 6 and TortoiseSVN/Subversion for versioning.
So I deleted my two blogs, the one that talks about music and the other one is about my programming ventures. I can’t publish a timely update on them. There are articles prepared for those two I just can’t squeeze in the time to proof read them.
In the process of the deletion There is a feature in WordPress.com that you can export the contents of your blog. Once you export it you can download it on the spot or you can go to your mail and click on the link which also comes immediately after you click the export.
It’s just odd that the contents are in XML format. Then I will just wonder how it will be imported. I have no plans on putting up the same contents again. I will surely put up a new web dev blog but it will have a different content.